Friday, November 28, 2008

Being Thankful

So it has been a while since I last posted but I figured it was an appropriate time.  This time of year I always have a lot to be thankful for, a loving and supportive family, and a mother who is a phenomenal cook (gonna have to do some pretty serious workouts to make up for lost ground this week).  This season I have one more thing to be thankful for.  Today I just got back from a local bike shop where I picked up my wheels for this coming summer.  Thanks to folks at Freewheeling Bicycles in Austin, Texas, I will be riding the Journey of Hope mounted on a 2007 Specialized Allez Expert road bike. A big thanks goes out to them for cutting me a great deal on the bike as well as some riding accessories. Freewheeling is a local shop in Austin run by cycling enthusiasts, and this is the second bike I have purchased from them. Their service is friendly and personal and you can tell they really care about the customer, I hope I represent them well this summer.

One thing I learned at home though, is just how terrifying riding on a city street can be.  Something as small as a honda civic suddenly sounds like a bicycle crushing semi truck barreling down on you and I found myself cringing in fear from cars I usually scoff at when in my truck.  City riding will take some getting used to.  Unfortunately I am stuck on the spinners at the Fitness Center until I get home for Christmas break when I will be able to take my bike back to school with me.
On a completely unrelated note, I ran in my second Turkey Trot, a five mile run that my father loves the register the family for, on Thanksgiving day, and speaking of thankfulness, I would be thankful for a tube of Icy Hot right now.  It has been since April last time I ran more than a mile or so and it shows.  Apparently you use different muscles when training for cycling, because the 100 or so miles I have ridden in the past couple weeks did me no good and this year my dad walked away with the win.  Its ok, last time I wiped the floor with him (finishing nearly a mile ahead of him) and then the Texas longhorns promptly choked against the Aggies as I watched in horror from the stands, but not so this year.  So yes, I take full credit for the Longhorns' 49-9 destruction of the Aggies and will gladly concede any future footraces to my old man (as long as we arent on bikes).
Till next time...

No comments: